I took this out as someone was asking about it on Facebook and I have not cleaned or tested the 2 machines I own for a couple of years at least. I am glad I did as the shed humidity had affected them quite badly. I have 2 of these machine, one that is new and looks unused and the second well loved – the new machine does not work at all except to knit plain etc but the patterning device were seized and I do not fancy taken this apart as its full of sliding plates, springs and other bits and pieces – my track record for anything this complex is not too good.
The second machine knitted after a bit of persuasion and with the aid of a hairdryer to loosen the congealed oil that collects on all old machines – and the sponge bar was completely flat. This all took at least 3 days but eventually it began to work but it was tedious stuff. This is truly a vintage machine and an extremely heavy one at that, it reminds me a bit of the Toyota 787 – a seriously heavy beast of a machine but unlike this model a far more sophisticated machine – however I believe it works on the same principle ie lots of metal sliding plates and springs.