I have recently finished some work and have time on my hands and that usually means checking out my collection of books and magazines for inspiration - someone came on and asked me about the Knitmaster 6500, via Ravelry but by the time I opened up the site, the request was a good few months old, however, I responded quickly and then it was down to my shed to check this machine out - I have a few 4500 Knitmasters, one in good condition, so I decided to give it a go (any excuse) I cleaned and oiled it then tried it out, however, as usual I could not find the instruction manuals - after a bit of searching they were in the back of a deep draw, but it was too late - by that time, I had setup the machine, cast-on and knitted with it - after around 20 minutes, I was having problems, this machine does not operate with weights, but with plastic sinkers, casting on was difficult (only because I did not know how) and knitting even worse and that was just the plain stuff. If you look at the other patterns in the books, some are tuck, or loop or fairisle, there are wonderful lightweight woollen coats - so classic but I take my hat off to whomsoever, knitted them on that machine - it must have taken ages - on the coloured leaflet that I have (ie newspaper broadsheet size, it outlines the whole kit with prices, it shows in great detail the wonderful things one can knit, it illustrates a ribber and the price is low (though I have the feeling in those days even £10.00 was a lot of dosh).
August 2017 - update
Another update on these machines as they are becoming popular again. I thought I would look for one or two of the ones I can find. After reading a facebook post on this very machine I decided to do what you should not do with this machine and that’s take it to bits. Not the best idea in the world – I removed the nuts under the machine, which was a seriously onerous task (understatement of the year) and then replaced a couple of missing needles. So far so good, then I tried to get the bar back on and it’s a sprung bar and its also a nightmare to replace – anyway I did eventually succeed but it took forever and because I had to keep turning the machine up and down it was no fun.